Saturday, May 8, 2010

Grandpa


Grandpa passed away a few weeks ago. It's been a while since I have been this sad. Even though I know he is in a better place I just feel the loss of my grandpa. I have always felt I have had a special bond with my grandpa and I have never really been able to really bond with a father figure. Grandpa was the exception. He was always willing to be there for me, even if he didn't think that I was doing the right thing. Grandpa taught me how to fish, how to ride a bike and work hard for things that I wanted. He helped me get my first car! I really miss him.
The day of the funeral I asked Grandma if I could come and say my good-byes by myself because I needed some closure and I wanted to be with Grandpa one last time on this earth before everyone else came to say goodbye. It was a good experience for me. I played Clair Delune (I am not sure of the spelling) for him one last time. Grandma taught me how to play that a few years ago. I originally wanted to learn it because I knew it was my grandpa's favorite song, and he loved to hear it played. I am glad I had the chance to say good bye. My girls were so cute at the funeral. They loved great-grandpa! They would go up and sit on his lap and give him kisses. Right before they closed the casket Joni leaned over and gave him a kiss and said "Bye-Bye Grandpa."
I know I have felt grandpa's love and comfort since his death and I know that I will be able to see him again through the plan of salvation. I am so grateful to have this gift of knowledge. I know the Lord loves us and this was a blessing. My sister posted some beautiful pictures on her blog about Grandpa. Here is a link to her blog. http://paradisepetersens.blogspot.com/

No comments: